You want to know this first:
Direct-Drive mounts are advanced, high performance telescope mounts with extreme tracking and positioning accuracy.
With instrument loads of 120KG and 220KG, the NOVA range of telescope mounts are a class of their own.
In a nutshell, these are the main advantages:
- No gears, no worm drives and no belts: no complex maintainance, no mechanical wear, no summer-winter gear and worm tuning
- Semi absolute encoders : no periodic error, accurate positionning and slew accuracy, very smooth motion
- High speed and noiseless slews (up to 20°/sec)
- Long, un-guided exposure times (15 min with 2m focal length!) : NO guiding!
- Power-less magnetic brakes, to ensure telescope tube safety
- Hollow axis feed-through, for all cabling of CCD camera's, focuser, filterwheel and auxilary instruments.
- On startup the mount knows where it is pointing in the sky, due to absolute positioning system.
- Absolutely NOISLESS operation.